BreakAwayForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BreakAwayForum

Break away from mind confines and be Free to explore yourself and us all

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Crossing Over   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:58 am

Did you know?
The term crossing over is common among Native people today to refer to those who died or who
are dying.

Last edited by lightsun on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native American   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 am

"Alaska" is a Native word which means "the great country."Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 AK-00073-C
Picture of an Eskimo Shaman
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native American Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 am

Did you know?
Beloved Woman is an important community figure among the Cherokee people. The wise woman
bestowed this role, acts as a one woman legal council and judicial authority over all members
of her tribe. Her word is law and all people must abide.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native American   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 am

Did you know?
The Talking Feather is a communication devise used by various tribes to ensure a person's
right to speak without interruption from others. The leader of a meeting would first hold the
Talking Feather, and then pass it around the room or give it to those who requested a turn.
The feather typically held a special meaning to that particular tribe, and it would be decorated
with distinctive colors and symbols. In other tribal communities, a Talking Stick would be used
in the same manner.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native American Wisdomm   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:16 am

The idea of full dress in preparation for a battle comes not from a belief that it will add to the
fighting ability. The preparation is for death in case that should be the result of the conflict. Every
Indian wants to meet the Great Spirit so the dressing up is done whether I imminent danger in
an oncoming battle or a sickness or injury at times of peace.
Wooden Leg (1858-1940)
Cheyenne warrior and tribal judgeNative American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 PC_3039955
Picture a Cheyenne Camp by David Mann
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native American Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:24 am

Did you know?
Before the Europeans arrived in the Americas, more than 500 tribes (a collective group of
22 million people) inhabited what is now the United States.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:39 am

Did you know?
The following 26 states are named after Native American words.
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wisconsin
Wyoming
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:53 pm

A Native to know :
Chief Joseph was a major celebrity during his lifetime. Born in what is now northeastern Oregon
in 1840, he was the son of the first Nez Perce Christian converts, also named Joseph, who raised
Chief Joseph to support peace with the whites-until the government betrayed the elder Joseph
and the Nez Perce. Chief Joseph succeeded his father's position in 1871. After several skirmishes
and difficulties with the U.S. government, he became an eloquent speaker against injustice and
inequality, and spoke in support of the freedom of the Native people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 4:58 am

lightsun wrote:
Did you know?
Beloved Woman is an important community figure among the Cherokee people. The wise woman
bestowed this role, acts as a one woman legal council and judicial authority over all members
of her tribe. Her word is law and all people must abide.

just wonderful to know, now. I love you
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 1:23 pm

I am pleased. I like to bring cheer to those I hold dear. LightSun Peaceweaver sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 2:51 pm

lightsun wrote:
I am pleased. I like to bring cheer to those I hold dear. LightSun Peaceweaver sunny sunny sunny
Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Pl_1_detail_1 cheers
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 4:17 am

Thank you, lavender. You are a true light, blessing this forum. sunny flower
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 4:31 am

Did you know?
The word "Shaman" originated in Siberian, but today some Native tribes and many non-Natives,
especially anthropologists, use this term to describe a Native American healer who dwells with
the underworld, the supernatural, and the spirits. Individuals who are true shamans will not write
a book or make a public appearance about their work, nor will they advertise their practice or
speak of it in public. A shaman can only be found by word of mouth, and those who practice
ancient customs are rare. They differ from Native healers, who often mix traditional medicine
with unconventional methods and act more as a physician to the community.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:48 am

Did you know?
A medicine bag, or medicine bundle, is carried by many Native people to hold sacred objects,
such as stones, animal talons, totem, sacred herbs, or other prized possessions. It is worn on
their body and kept close to them at all times. These items protect the individual and are used
during sacred ceremonies or events. A Totem is an object (animal, plant, etc.) that an individual
is intimately related to. The person has a bond with this item, and uses it for prayer or to draw
strength from during times of need.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:54 am

A Native to know :
Cochise was chief of the Chiricahua Apache and known for his intelligence and strategic strength.
U.S. Cavalry soldiers referred to him as "The Serpent."
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:01 am

A Native to know :
Crazy Horse, Oglala-Brule Sioux, was born east of the sacred Black Hills in 1842. He later became
the war leader of an Oglala subgroup, the Teton Sioux, and was involved in several skirmishes
including the Battle of the Little Bighorn. He surrendered in 1877 and was then killed.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:12 am

A Native to know :
Sequoyah (1770-1843), Cherokee, developed a syllablary for the Cherokee language and opened
many new doors for his fellow people. It good Sequoyah 12 years to finish his work, and he will be
remembered as one of the only people in world history to create an entire syllabary on his own.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:30 am

Did you know?
Dreamcatchers are not supposed to be placed around car mirrors. They serve a cultural
importance that places them only above one's bed, where one sleeps.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:41 am

A Native to know :
Victorio was chief of the Ojo Caliente Apace and at one time served under Apache Mangas Coloradas.
Victorio was an adamant fighter for his people and used physical force when neceaaary. It took
an army of more than 2,000 soldiers to defeat the brilliant strategist and his people, numbering
fewer than 200.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:01 am

lightsun:
part of a dream early this morning showed this forum as a beautiful and delightful tearoom....
it is certainly a joy to be here and contribute to its beauty.
Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 10038331
be still my soul
(sung by a truly blessed voice, celine dion)
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:30 pm

I have saved and downloaded your beautiful picture, lavender orchid which you have shared.
I guess i'll get mushy on you. lavender orchid I am on many forums. Each individual is unique.
I find that you always make me smile, unless you are down. In which case I am concerned for
a friend. I thank you for your being my friend. You bring joy to my heart. My soul sings with
the beautiful pictures, poetry and wonderful web sites you share. On behalf of the whole forum,
I would say we all thank you for the beauty that you share. sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Blackfeet-nation-dance
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native Wisdom   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 am

Yigaquu osaniyu adanvto adadoligi nigohilvi nasquv utloyasdi nihi
(May the Great Spirit's blessings Always Be with You).
Cherokee Adage
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 am

"Ea Nigada Qusadi Idadadvhn"
(all my relations in creation).
Cherokee Adage
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Native   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:49 am

Wowienke he iyotam wowa sake
(Truth is power).
Lakota adage
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion   Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Native American Wisdom Sayings and Discussion
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next