BreakAwayForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BreakAwayForum

Break away from mind confines and be Free to explore yourself and us all

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Buddhism 101

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

You should devote yourselves to find joy in pleasures of the Dharma, and should take no pleasure
In desires.
Buddhism. Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti 4

This is very complicated. There are those who are more internally based and some who are external.
This is a polarity. I used to believe whole heartedly that this is the world of illusion. But it would
not make sense for 1/2 the world to be excluded because they can not see this truth. I am getting
the perception that it is all about balance. Seeing an inner self and molding it to the external
reality. I don't know the truth. I know it is wrong to exclude people who can not see what you
can. It is a journey. Unfortunately my theory is constantly under revisions. I guess it makes sense.
There are different chapters in our life when different truths apply. We can not hold on to the old
but must move ever forward into the truth. Into the light.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 pm

Diseases have hunger as their worst. Sufferings have dispositions as their worst. Knowing this in
proper perspective, Freedom (Nibbana) is the ultimate happiness.

Of all gains, good health is the greatest. Of all wealth, contentment is the greatest. Among kinsman,
the trusty is the greatest. Freedom (Nibbana) is the ultimate happiness.

Having imbibed the essence of solitude and the essence of tranquility, and imbibing the joyous
essence of righteousness, one becomes free from anguish and free from evil.
Buddhism. Dhammapada 203-5
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

From Joy there is some bliss, from Perfect Joy yet more, from the Joy of cessation comes a passionless state,
and the Joy of the Innate is finality. The first comes by desire for contact, the second by desire for
bliss, the third from the passing of passion, and by this means the fourth is realized.
Buddhism. Hevajra Tantra 8.32-33
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:45 am

Let us live happily, without hate amongst those who hate. Let us dwell unhating amidst hateful men.
Let us live happily, in good health amongst those who are sick. Let us dwell in good health amidst
ailing men.
Let us live happily, without yearning for sensual pleasures amongst those who yearn for them. Let
us dwell without yearning amidst those who yearn.
Let us dwell happily, we have no impediments. We shall subsist on joy even as the radiant gods.
Buddhism. Dhammapada 197-200
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:57 am

Those who can hold to this scripture
Shall cause me and the emanations of my body,
As well as the Buddha Many Jewels, now passed into extinction,
All without exception to rejoice.
The Buddhas of the past and present in all ten quarters,
As well as those of past and future,
They shall both see and shower with offerings,
Enabling them, too, to gain joy.
Buddhism. Lotus Sutra 21
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:04 am

Every being has the Buddha Nature. This is the self.
Buddhism. Mahaparinirvana Sutra 214
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 am

For him who ...knows his own mind and sees intuitively his own nature, he is a Hero,
a Teacher of gods and men, a Buddha.
Buddhism. Sutra of Hui Neng 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 11:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PJx8PE_GVM&feature=rec-fresh+div-f-3-HM sunny
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Thank you lavender orchid sunny flower
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: wisdom   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 5:38 am

Every being has the Buddha Nature. This is the self. Such a. self is, since the very beginning,
under cover of innumerable illusions. That is why a man cannot see it. O good man! There was a
poor woman who had gold hidden somewhere in her house, but no one knew where it was. But
there was a stranger who, by expediency, speaks to the poor woman, "I shall employ you to weed
the lawn." The woman answered, "I cannot do it now, but if you show my son where the gold is
hidden, I will work for you." The man says, "I know the way ; I will show it to your son." The woman
replies, "No one in my house, big or small, knows where the gold is hidden. How can you know?"
The man then digs out the hidden gold and shows it to the woman. She is glad, and begins to
respect him. O good man! The same is the case with a man's Buddha Nature. No one can see it.
It. Is like the gold which the poor woman possessed and yet could not locate. I now let people see
the Buddha Nature which they possess, but which was hidden by illusions. The Tathagata shows all
beings the storehouse of enlightenment, which is the cask of true gold-their Buddha Nature.
Buddhism. Mahaparinirvana Sutra 214-15 Parable of the Hidden Treasure
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: wisdom   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 5:48 am

Passions consist of conceptualizations. The ultimate non-existence of these
conceptualizations and imaginary fabrications-that is the purity that is the intrinsic
nature of the mind. Misapprehensions are passions. The ultimate absence of
misapprehensions is the intrinsic nature of mind. The presumption of self is passion.
The absence of self is the intrinsic nature of mind.
Buddhism. Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti 3
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: wisdom   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:20 am

Whose minds are well perfected in the Factors of Enlightenment, who, without clinging,
delight in the giving up of grasping, they, the corruption-free, shining ones, have
attained Nibbana even in this world.
Buddhism. Dhammapada 89
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: wisdom   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:24 am

Supporting one's father and mother, cherishing wife and children and a peaceful
occupation ; this is the greatest blessing.
Buddhism. Sutta Nipata 262
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:03 am

Not by matted hair, nor by family, nor by birth does one become a Brahmin. But
in whom there exist both truth and righteousness, pure is he, a Brahmin is he.

I do not call him Brahmin merely because he is born of a Brahmin womb or sprung
from a Brahmin mother. Being with impediments, he should address others as "sit."
But he who is free from impediments, free from clinging-him I call a Brahmin.
Buddhism. Dhammapada 393, 396
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:19 am

Rajah Koranya had a king banuan tree called Steadfast, and the shade of its widespread
branches was cool and lovely. Ts shelter broadened to twelve leagues...None guarded
its fruit, and none hurt another for its fruit. Now there came a man who ate his fill of
fruit, broke down a branch, and went his way. Thought the spirit dwelling in that tree,
"How amazing, how astonishing it is, that a man should be so evil as to break off a
branch of the tree, after eating his fill. Suppose the tree were to bear no more fruit."
And the tree bore no more fruit.
Buddhism. Anguttara Nikaya iii. 368
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Knowing that this body is like foam, and comprehending that it is as unsubstantial
as a mirage, one should destroy the flower tipped shafts of sensual passions (Mara),
and pass beyond the sight of the King of death.
Buddhism. Dhammapda 46

The body is a shell and is only temporary. Nothing else on this planet has value in
relation to one's soul. Not possessions, not ego, and not even the body. As long as there
is a breath of life we can go on. Finding balance in one's life and finding one's true
gift are goals in life worth pursuing. The problem is we all have independent journey's.
No one person can tell another how to live or self actualize or find true and lasting
happiness. Let the search begin within and let it guide you on your life's path.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:31 pm

lightsun wrote:
Rajah Koranya had a king banuan tree called Steadfast, and the shade of its widespread
branches was cool and lovely. Ts shelter broadened to twelve leagues...None guarded
its fruit, and none hurt another for its fruit. Now there came a man who ate his fill of
fruit, broke down a branch, and went his way. Thought the spirit dwelling in that tree,
"How amazing, how astonishing it is, that a man should be so evil as to break off a
branch of the tree, after eating his fill. Suppose the tree were to bear no more fruit."
And the tree bore no more fruit.
Buddhism. Anguttara Nikaya iii. 368
Buddhism 101 - Page 3 156008588_51e60e5ba7
(.... courtesy of some "little buddha" flower )
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

When we subject ourselves to the least discrimination or particularization, transformation
takes place ; otherwise, all things remain as void as space, as they
inherently are. By dwelling our mind on evil things, hell arises. By
dwelling our mind on good acts, paradise appears. Dragons and snakes
are the transformations of venomous hatred, while heavenly
Bodhisattvas are mercy personified. The upper regions are Wisdom
crystallized, while the underworld is only another for. Of ignorance and
infatuation.
Buddhism. Suttra of Hui Neng 6

Our perceptions define reality. In the universe there is no good or evil, reality
just is. We define what is good and evil. We attach labels and so
contribute to the misery of the world with our subjective labels.
Heaven and hell are before our eyes. The choice is ours in which
one to give power to. Through wisdom love one can transcend this reality
and more clearly see all the wonders of the universe that are before our eyes.
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 8:26 pm

lightsun wrote:
When we subject ourselves to the least discrimination or particularization, transformation
takes place ; otherwise, all things remain as void as space, as they
inherently are. By dwelling our mind on evil things, hell arises. By
dwelling our mind on good acts, paradise appears. Dragons and snakes
are the transformations of venomous hatred,
while heavenly
Bodhisattvas are mercy personified. The upper regions are Wisdom
crystallized, while the underworld is only another for. Of ignorance and
infatuation.
Buddhism. Suttra of Hui Neng 6

Our perceptions define reality. In the universe there is no good or evil, reality
just is. We define what is good and evil. We attach labels and so
contribute to the misery of the world with our subjective labels.

Heaven and hell are before our eyes. The choice is ours in which
one to give power to. Through wisdom love one can transcend this reality
and more clearly see all the wonders of the universe that are before our eyes.
Yes. I have always been partial to dragons and snakes myself. In some traditions, they have symbolized wisdom, strength, and good fortune. Demonization of the snake in Genesis thus serves to demonize and suppress indigenous pre-Judaic traditions for whom snakes were a positive symbol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism
Smile
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 pm

See also Elaine Pagels' book Adam and Eve and the Serpent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Romana wrote:
See also Elaine Pagels' book Adam and Eve and the Serpent.

i have read it. thanks, Romana.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 pm

I love the sharing of wisdom. lavender orchid I like the picture of the Banyan Tree.
There are many here in Hawaii. They appear to be alive and slowly move across the
landscape with their roots. Thank you both for sharing. I wish to grow. I am constantly
astounded by the amount of wisdom that each individual possesses. Part of my journey
is listening.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Romana wrote, "I have always been partial to dragons amd snakes..." I find this interesting. It is not a norm. We usually put down what we fear. There are exceptions and it is based on culture. I have heard that the Chinese dragon is honored. I also believe in Hinduism there is a temple dedicated to rats. We tend to vilify that which we do not understand.

Romana wrote, "...so Elaine Pagel's book Adam and Eve and the Sepent." You are very well read, Romana. You constantly shed light in subjects. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I am glad lavender that you had a chance to read this particular book.
Thank you both :
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Within the Essence of Mind all things are intrinsically pure, like the azure of the sky and the radiance of the sun and moon which, when obscured by passing clouds, may appear as of their brightness had been dimmed ; but as soon as the clouds are blown away, brightness reappears and all objects are fully illuminated.

Learned audience, our evil habits may be likened unto the clouds ; while Sagicitity and Wisdom are like the sun and the ion respectfully. When we attach ourselves to outer objects, our Essence of Mind OS clouded by wanton thoughts which prevent our
Sagacity and Wisdom from sending forth their light.
Buddhism, Sutra of Hui Neng 6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buddhism 101   Buddhism 101 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buddhism 101
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BreakAwayForum :: The Dharma Center :: Bodhisattva Inspirations-
Jump to: